Remembering......

This week has seemed like it was at least a month long.  It was the hardest and most heartbreaking week of my life.

I debated on whether or not to share this on my blog, but I decided that teachers are the most loving, caring community.  I know that no matter what we are there for each other and support each other through thick and thin.

On Saturday night, very late, one of my co-workers got a hold of me asking if I had our principal's phone number.  (We have a new principal this year so not all of us had her cell number yet)  I told her I did not.

Then the shock of my life came.  She said, "Well I have some sad news to share, Jennifer passed away tonight."  I had to read that sentence at least five times before it sunk in.  My heart was breaking and tears were streaming down my face.

Jennifer was our resource teacher, or special education teacher.  Her passing has created a huge hole in the heart of our school.

I don't think you need me to share the details of my week.  I went through the motions of teaching but didn't really feel like I was there.

Instead today, I just want to remember Jennifer.  She was the most kind, most gentle, most patient person I have ever met.  She always thought of her students first.  She would do anything to help anyone who needed it.  She loved to wear long, warm sweaters.  Her son was the light of her life.

A couple years ago, I had a student who was severe special needs.  Jennifer never once complained about the extra things she and I had to do with this student.  Never once complained about the issues we faced daily.  Instead, she would come and get this little pumpkin from my room with a smile on her face each day.

That is how I will remember Jennifer.  As the sweet, caring teacher who loved to wear her long sweaters and always smiled at everyone she passed in the hallway.

I am thankful to my fellow co-workers in my building because without each other I don't think we would have made it through this week.  I am also extremely thankful to our school counselor for bringing in a grief counselor so that we could start our healing process.

Thank you for letting me share my story with you and keep Jennifer's memory alive.



11 comments

  1. Oh Amanda...I saw some of your FB posts but wasn't sure what happened...I'm so sorry to hear this. Hugs and prayers to you my sweet friend!

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, my friend. Praying for your Jennifer's family and your staff as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your co-worker; she sounds like one in a million! Prayers for you, your co-workers, students and Jennifer's family.

    Amanda
    A Very Curious Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your loss. That's never an easy thing to go through, so I'll keep you all in my prayers. :(

    God Bless!

    ✿ Regina
    Keepin It Krazy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tough week! I'm so sorry about your loss and for what your school is going through right now. You'll be in my thoughts!
    Sara-Polka Dot Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss. Your week must have been very difficult. Sending thoughts and prayers for strength and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful words. Horrific situation. I hope you felt the prayers from the district as we thought and prayed for your building this week and will continue throughout the school year. I am sorry for the great loss your staff is experiencing. I pray that God can work something beautiful into this heartache.

    Heidi
    Flipping For First

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Jennifer. That's just awful for your school. My prayers are with you, your school and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about your loss Amanda! She sounded amazing and you're so lucky to have such great memories of her!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful words, a loved co -worker...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear this news as I have lost colleagues before and it is so hard to keep on going when your heart is breaking. One thing that helped with the healing was dedicating and re-naming our school library after our cherished colleague. His photo hangs in the library and I am reminded of how wonderful he was every time I see it. Hugs to you and your staff.
    Palma
    kfundamentals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete