First Week Back at School

Well I have officially been back to work for one week.  We started last Tuesday.  The days are flying by.  So much so that I realized I haven't really taken any pictures of the activities we have been doing.

Last week, we taught the kinder babies all about the school rules.  We also assessed them and then split them into two classes.  I have 19 wonderful little pumpkins in my class this year.  Yep....only 19 (at least right now...it could always change :).

We took all the kinder babies pictures with this cute backdrop my teaching partner made.  Love it!


Yesterday was our first official day separated into the two classes.  It was great!  We practiced procedure after procedure all day long.  We learned how to sit at the carpet and tables.  We learned how to line up and walk in the hallway.  We learned how to take care of our supplies.  I found a great list of procedures from Fun in First.  Click {here} to visit her blog and read all about the procedures you might want to teach at the beginning of the year.  It was so nice to have a list in front of me so I didn't forget anything.  :)

We also reviewed school and classroom rules with a favorite character:  David!  We read "No, David!" and "David Goes to School" both by David Shannon.  We of course made our own little David's from Julie Lee's I am a Peacemaker activity.  I completely forgot to take a picture of these cutie patootie crafts though.  I promise to take a picture and post it soon.

Today we started learning about letters.  I do a quick overview of each letter for 26 days doing one letter a day.  We start with A and then work our way to Z.  Later we go back and do more activities with each letter, but I like to make sure I have at least exposed my students to all 26 letters first.

We made an Aa circle map.  The students came up with ideas of items that start with the letter A.


Seriously, one student came up with the word axel.  I don't know how to draw a car axel or what it even looks like so we just wrote the word.  :)  Oh and please don't tease about my terrible circles....I know they are bad...hehehehe.  I am working on it ;)

I started my first grad class yesterday as well so it has been a busy week.  I might not have the opportunity to blog as much as I would like while taking classes, but I promise I will keep blogging!  It just may only be once a week.

Well I am off to work on my first grad class assignment....wish me luck!

4 comments

  1. What are you taking a grad class in? I do wish you luck but just wondering what you are up to. Sounds like you had a nice start up and anyone who teaches Little Learners completely understands how you could have forgotten to take photos. You are in first days survival mode!
    All the best
    Julie :-)
    http://mrsstoweskindercottage.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great girl!!! Sounds like you have had a great first week. Good luck with grad school!!!

    Hugs!
    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that backdrop Amanda! I have been brainstorming of something like that to make. And thanks for sharing Fun in First's procedures. I lost my list of procedures to teach from the past years.

    Brittany
    Lovely Literacy and More

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed...backdrop is adorable! Your circles look fab. At least you haven't introduced shapes yet so they can't critique you yet :-p
    Have a wonderful weekend...miss ya!
    xo
    Elizabeth
    Kickin’ it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete