5 For Friday and Presidents {Finally}

It's Friday....whoooo hoooo!  It has been quite a week.  Extremely busy, a little stressful, and full of fun!  I have had quite a few kiddos out sick this week and think it may have finally caught up with me.  I woke up feeling not so hot and now I have a sore throat and headache.  Hoping I am in tip top shape tomorrow, but we will see.

I am linking up again with Doodle Bugs Teaching to post five random things about my week.


#1 - My cutie pie great-niece's birthday party.  She turned 2.  As we sang to her, she kept hiding her eyes.  It was the absolute cutest thing ever.  Here she is blowing out her candles.


#2 - I received my February Birchbox in the mail.  If you have never heard of Birchbox, it is a monthly subscription.  Each month you get different beauty supply samples sent to you based upon your profile you create.  If you are interested, please click {here} to learn more.  Anyways, I got a new nail polish in my box this month.  I love it.  I had to paint my nails right away!


#3 - My daughter got her hair chopped off this week.  Can't you tell how much she loves it by her super cheesy grin?  Can't get her to smile nice for the life of me!


#4 - During our math surveys this week I tried something new.  Each time a pair was done recording their partner's answer I made them do something silly like cover their eyes or cross their arms and look grumpy.  They had so much fun with it!  And it was a great signal to me about who was ready and who was still working.



 #5 - We learned a lot about Washington and Lincoln.  I am going to share with you some of the things we did.  I however am not going to share everything because (1) it would take too darn long and (2) my stupid computer and I are fighting about pictures.  For some reason, it isn't letting me get to all my new pictures.  Maybe tomorrow!

We made a T-Chart about what we knew about Washington {it wasn't much!} and then after we read some books we added some information to what we learned.



The next day we learned some more about our friend Mr. Washington and created this tree map.  This was a struggle for my littles.  I think it was because they were not that interested.

{Ok, side note......I was obviously writing fast and not completely paying attention to what I was doing because it should say "great life" instead of "great live".  How easily we get distracted!!!}

We then learned how to take what the map said and turn it into a sentence!  Whoo Hoo!!  This was also difficult, but we survived and they did pretty well.  {This paper is from A Cupcake for the Teacher.....we also made the adorable Washington faces to go along with it, but I can't get to that picture right now}


Then I found this fabulous directed drawing activity for FREE on TpT.  Click {here} to grab it for yourself.  We made our own George Washington's in our journals.


 Aren't they adorable????  I just loved each one of them!!

Ok, on Day 2 of learning about our first President we wrote three facts about Washington.


We learned a President's Day song.


We did a math survey on which President we would like to meet George Washington or Abraham Lincoln.  Here is an example.


I am so proud of how my students are doing with these.  It has taken quite a bit of practice, but they are finally starting to get the hang of it.  This survey is from Math Survey Sampler {Freebie} which you can find {here}.  I have many more surveys in my Math Surveys for the Year which you can find {here}.

I am now going to go to bed and read a book {or play with the ipad and maybe make a new font}.  Either way this lady is EXHAUSTED!!  Hoping a good night's rest will do this body good!  Have a great weekend everyone!

10 comments

  1. Great President Day ideas! I need to remember them for next year!!

    Stacy
    Live Love Laugh and Teach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pics! My class did your survey today. They loved it! And, I loved hearing them walk around asking "Who would you like to meet?" Thanks for sharing that great freebie. I will be doing this activity again, soon!

    Karen
    anappleadayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad they liked it. I love eavesdropping on their conversations about learning!

      Delete
  3. Love the signals for when they are done! I had some 5th grade helpers one day in my class and they were thinking of all sorts of funny ones!

    Hugs!
    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the freebie and your daughter's hair is too cute! Love it!

    Irene
    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene! She is loving it as well! Much easier to take care of too.

      Delete
  5. I popped over from Doodle Bugs Teaching...love your blog! I'm your newest follower!!

    Amy
    Happy Teacher Heaven

    ReplyDelete